Immanuel Lutheran to celebrate 125 years First services of Tilden church were held in homes
The Immanuel Lutheran Church congregation here will celebrate its 125th anniversary of being dedicated to witnessing the Lord Jesus Christ, not only to each other, but in its communities in July.
The church’s official organization dates back to 1887, the same year that Tilden’s name was officially changed from Burnett to Tilden. The first services were held in homes.
The first resident pastor was the Rev. Henry Schulze. During his three years, the church was built in 1893. In March 1911, it was voted to build a new church at its present site. The congregation continued to add modern items. In 1914, electric lights were installed. A basement was put under the church in 1927.
The church as gone through many changes in the last 25 years. Three pastors were installed over the past several years. In 1983, the Rev. Paul Thies was installed, and he served until 1986. In 1897, the Rev. Charles Horkey came and served until 1997. On June 13, 1999, the Rev. Michael Awe was installed. He currently serves as pastor of the congregation.
Little Lambs Preschool was formed in 1984, with the first class graduation in 1985. Four of those graduates are still members of Immanuel. In 2007, a daycare was added to Little Lambs, which currently cares for about 55 children. In July 1994, a groundbreaking was held and construction began for the new fellowship hall. The church began broadcasting the worship services over cable TV.
On Sunday, July 15, Immanuel will celebrate its 125 anniversary with the Rev. Ken Klaus, speaker emeritus of The Lutheran Hour Ministries, as guest speaker for the 10:30 a.m. worship service.
Source: excerpts from Norfolk Daily News, Fri., July 6, 2012, page 9.