The following information was taken from
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF NEBRASKA MEN AND WOMEN OF ACHIEVEMENT WHO HAVE BEEN AWARDED LIFE MEMBERSHIP IN THE NEBRASKANA SOCIETY
Edited by SARA MULLIN BALDWIN and ROBERT MORTON BALDWIN
THE BALDWIN COMPANY
The names and information that is below is for: A — H
Henry Altschuler John David Barnett
Cass Grove Barns Charles Cecil Barr
Irwell Montgomery Dawson George Martin Dudley
Ralph Stevenson Finley James Willis Gillette
The following are listed under H — W
John Hoaglund Frank Jensen
Reuben A. Johnson George Edward Kennedy
Clyde Lauren Krause Orlando Bidwell Manville
Harry D. Miller Frederick Homer Price
Hardin Sherman Tennant Edwin Carlos Warner
Frank Austin Warner John Wesley Warrick
Marie O’Donnell Weeks Bernard Whitwer
Born at Madison, Nebraska, January 21, 1883, Henry Altschuler is the son of Solomon and Mary (Wertheim) Altschuler. His father, who was a farmer, was born near Posen, Germany, and died at Omaha, Nebraska, July 21, 1899; he came to this country in 1855. His mother, who was of Jewish descent, was born at Darmstadt, Germany, and died at Omaha, December 17, 1928.
Mr. Altschuler is a merchant at Madison, Nebraska. He has been a director of the Nebraska Federation of Retailers, is a director of the Nebraska Mutual Burglar Insurance Company, and vice president and director of the Associated Stores Wholesale Company, Inc. He holds membership in the Madison County Historical Society, the National Geographic Society, the Madison Country Club, the Traveling Men’s Protective Association, and the Nebraskana Society.
He is district chairman for the Boy Scouts, is a 32nd degree Mason and Shriner, has served as president of the Community Club, and has been treasurer of the Madison County Fair Association. Prior to the World War period he was a first lieutenant in Company H, 4th Nebraska Infantry, and later was county chairman and state director of Near East Relief. His hobby is reading, and his sports include hunting and fishing.
His marriage to Ada Nathan occurred at Des Moines, Iowa, December 27, 1906. She was born at Oskaloosa, Iowa, January 25, 1880, daughter of Moses A. and Hattie Nathan. Residence: Madison. (Photograph in Album).
John David Barnett
A resident of Stanton County since January 5, 1882 John David Barnett was born in Clinton County, Indiana, September 11, 1851, son of John Mathias and Elizabeth (Whitcomb) Barnett.
John Mathias Barnett was a farmer, born in Hardy County, Virginia, March 4, 1823, who died at Michingtown, Indiana, December 18, 1880. His wife, Elizabeth Whitcomb, was born in Clinton County, Indiana, February 8, 1829. The genealogy of her family is traced to 1630, when John Whitcomb and his wife came to America on the Arabella. He has a direct line to the time of Henry IV, and is entitled to the arms of Berwick Whitcomb, Elizabeth Whitcomb was eligible to the Colonial Dames, and a direct descendant of General James Cudworth, whom history states was a noted man. She was also eligible to the Daughters of American Revolution under Asa Whitcomb, John Whitcomb and William Parmenter.
John David Barnett attended country school, and upon moving to Nebraska took up farming. Starting with little, he reared a fine family, and is an extensive landowner. He was married to Margaret William Denney, daughter of James Maxwell and Susan (Marty) Denney, at Monticello, Illinois, December 31, 1881. Mrs. Barnett was born at Sunfish, Ohio, December 18, 1855. There are seven children: Blanche Dora, married Charles Lyle Dittman; Jessie Elizabeth, married Louis F. Zander; Campsia Pearl married Maurice G. Barr; Georgia Fern, married Dr. Leonard Collins; Hazel Grace is unmarried; Flonnie Irene, married Edward J. Kerbel; and Leilah Alberta, married Lorence F. Raabe.
Mr. Barnett is a Democrat, and a member of the New England Congregational Church at Stanton. He has always been a great hunter and fisherman. Residence: Stanton.
Cass Grove Barns
Born on an eighty acre farm in northern Indiana, October 1, 1848, much the youngest of seven children, Cass Grove Barns is the son of Cyrus and Eliza (Elliott) Barns. His father. born in Onondaga County, New York, April 11, 18_8, died in La Porte County, Indiana, May 23, 1883. His mother, born in Onondaga County, May 28, 1809, died in La Porte County, on February 8, 1887.
Tradition assigns his nationality to England, with a mixture of Scotch-Irish ancestry, which was continued in America by intermarriage. An ancestor, Thomas Barns, of Hartford, Connecticut, came to America about 1680, where he joined a party going west to the Connecticut Valley. He participated in the first great Indiana wars, and was given a six acre tract of land in the city of Hartford, and a farm in the country. After peace was proclaimed he was married and his benign neighbors executed his wife for alleged witchcraft. He married again and from that union the entire line descends directly to Cass Grove Barns, he being the seventh generation. Members of the family participated in the Revolution, and the War of 1812. On the maternal side Mr. Barns’ lineage is traced to participants in the two wars also, an uncle having lost his life in filibustering expeditions in attempting to take Canada from England.
Reared on a farm, Cass Grove Barns attended district school when possible and taught in country schools several terms He later became a medical student with an active physician, a custom which antedates the internship of the present day. After graduation he practiced in the thickly populated neighborhood where he grew up, later removing to the county seat where there were fifteen or twenty old doctors. He served as township physician 1879-80, and was appointed county physician, having charge of the county hospital, the poor house, jail and out door poor, which gave him a job in addition to his regular practice.
Having bought wild land in Boone County, Nebraska, he succumbed to the western fever and moved to Albion, in April, 1881. For five years the family lived on their faring where Dr. Barns supervised the farming and cattle feeding and practiced medicine in Albion. In 1886, he moved into town where he engaged in the drug business with another doctor. After a few years business interests interfered with his medical practice and he ceased answering sick calls. However, he has never been clear of practice, and is still a registered physician.
Dr. Barns has served on the United States Pension Board, has been medical examiner for the Modern Woodmen of America, chief surgeon for the Nebraska National Guard, and in 1922 freshened up a bit at Tulane University. To his credit are several years as a member of the school boards of Albion, and rural districts, as well as several terms as president of the Albion Board of Education.
He was drafted to take charge of the Boone county fair, donating his services, and for a period of six years, during the depression and loss of crops of the nineties, was secretary of that organization. The fair was dying under a heavy debt, and as its secretary he was given complete control. In 1898 he left the organization entirely, out of debt.
Dr. Barns is a Democrat, and from 1894-98, was postmaster of Albion. In 1897 he had a newspaper to edit, a farm to operate, a fair to manage, post office work to do, and in addition was obliged to assume management of the Albion Flouring Mill doing commercial work with a branch store in Omaha, another in Chattanooga, smaller ones here and there. He directed also a traveling salesman. After a year he sold the Albion Argus, left the fair, and being an offensive partisan, was let out of the post office by McKinley. Thereafter for a period of twenty-two years he operated the milling business, which earned him a lot of money at first. At one time he owned and operated a small mill at Petersburg, Nebraska, but traded it for land in Kimball County.
In 1908, he purchased a large department store in Albion, operating it two years. In 1911, he again bought the Argus, selling it in 1917, because of the dearth of labor due to the war. From 1890 to 1904, Dr. Barnes did much Sunday School work and otherwise supported and assisted the Methodist Church.
When his daughters were students at the University he bought the historic D Street home of William Jennings Bryan, where his family lived two or three years, while he remained in Albion. His wife desiring to return to Albion he built a new home there where the family remained until 1928. At that time he purchased the Madison Star-Mail, moving to Madison, where he built another home. He sold the paper in April, 1981. Being idle during the past summer he has devoted much of his time to assembling a 75,000 word fiction story of pre-Civil War times.
The World War period injured the milling business greatly. Dr. Barns was assigned to about all the local war projects that did not pay–he was appointed to organize the County Council of Defensane, securing an admirable organization with county officers and precinct chairmen. To this was added a staff of many auxiliary workers. Among them he organized 18 home guard companies, got their officers commissioned and many companies drilled. No Nebraska Red Cross was functioning and he was chosen to organize it in the county. He became temporary county chairman and secured an excellent permanent one. He circulated food pledge cards, and then grow wheat one year, distributed two carloads of seed and the next year sent away for 65 single orders of seed Dr. Barns carried on war construction alone, denying some and forwarding requests for others. He was called upon to support the sale of bonds, and held meetings for food saving.
Dr. Barns was appointed chairman for Taft’s League to Enforce Peace, and then to find jobs for returning ex service men. He announced that he desired to get over seas where things would he peaceful and quiet, and his application for work in the Red Cross, Salvation Army and Young Men’s Christian Association went as far as preparing his passport. He was given many recommendations, which apparently were cancelled by other statements that he was worth more at home.
In addition to the foregoing he was government appeal agent between county and district draft boards. He helped recruit a company of infantry which was camped at the fair grounds and inducted into service. He was responsible for the support, which amounted to consider able, but was later paid by the Albion Commercial Club. The camp was given his name.
Prominent in political life over a long period of time, Dr. Barns was twice elected county commissioner of Boone County. In that capacity he opened most of the hilly roads surrounding Albion, and made many dry run bridges. His brother commissioners backed his leadership, and when a cash basis was attained Dr. Barns quit the job. He was nominated for lieutenant governor in 1920, and was defeated; was unsuccessful candidate for state senator from Boone, Antelope and Greeley once by six votes, which on the recount was reduced to three. On the no license ticket he was candidate for mayor of Albion three times, was defeated twice and elected once. Prior to that he had served as chairman of the village board.
On June 24, 1871, Dr. Barns was united in marriage to Isabelle Smith, in Berrien County, Michigan. Mrs. Barns, who was born in London, England, February 21, 1852, came to New York State with her parents as an infant. They lived there until she was about thirteen, when they removed to La Porte County, Indiana. Of this marriage there are four children: Frank Milan, born July 5, 1877, who married Ruth Burch; Viola Florence, born August 28, 1885; Ruby Eliza, born February 12, 1889, who married Samuel C. Waugh; and Donald Grover, born May 21, 1892, who married Margaret McGregor.
Dr. Barns desired his children to become farmers, but it was not to be. Frank graduated in both medicine and dentistry and became professor of head surgery in the Omaha Dental College. He practiced in Omaha, some years, and entered war service as a lieutenant. Promoted to captain and later to major, he was transferred from the base hospital at Houston, Texas, overseas as general surgeon. There he had command of surgical unit No. 7 which followed the battle front and operated on those sent back from the lines. He was in advance sector from Memorial Day to Armistice Day, and thereafter had charge of hospitals in different parts of France. Returning, he was married and settled in Albion, where he enjoys an extensive clinical practice. They have a son and a daughter.
Viola is professor of history at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts. She has four degrees, three from Nebraska, and her Doctor of Philosophy from Yale. After majoring in composition in music, and receiving her Bachelor’s degree in English, she became an instructor in history at the University of Nebraska. She was a Phi Beta Kappa there, and winner of scholarships, is the author of a history book The Dominion of New England, and has several others now in preparation. For several years she was abroad engaged in research work, mostly in London. She has had several fellowships, from June, 1930, to September, 1931, being employed in research work in London, on furlough from college. She has also had a Guggenheim Foundation fellowship.
Ruby received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Nebraska, taught one year in Nebraska schools, and married Samuel C. Waugh, a college classmate. He is now trust officer for the First Trust Company of Lincoln. They have a thirteen year old daughter.
Donald was a Phi Beta Kappa student at Nebraska, receiving his Bachelor of Arts degree and a scholarship to Harvard. There be received his Master’s and Doctor’s degrees. He taught for a time in the Milton Academy in Boston, and has spent several years in research work in London. In 1922, he was given a traveling fellowship, spent many months at the University of London, the University of Paris, and Cambridge University, finishing at King’s College. In 1929 he was given at Guggenheim Foundation fellowship, and has a book in preparation. He was professor of history several years at the University of Oregon, and this year is filling the same position at the University of Washington. His wife, Margaret McGregor of Northhampton, Massachusetts, was also a college worker at the University of Oregon.
Dr. Barns has written several hooks, the best known being The Sod House, published in 1930, His first newspaper work began in 1885, when he became owner of the Albion Argus. He was a charter member of the first national bank established in Boone County, and served as director in the First National Bank of Albion 37 years, and about 10 years as vice president. He is a Mason, a Modern Woodman of America, a member of the Nebraska State Historical Society and a life member of The Nebraskana Society. Residence: Madison.
Charles Cecil Barr
Charles Cecil Barr, physician and surgeon of distinction in Madison County, Nebraska, has been a resident of this state for the past 24 years. He was born at Akron, Iowa, July 12, 1884, the son of David and Sarah Barr His father, who was born at sea in 1845, and died at Sioux City, Iowa, in 1928, was a merchant; whose ancestry was Scotch. His mother died at Waterloo, Iowa, in 1912.
Dr. Barr was graduated from the Sioux City High School in 1903, received the Doctor of Medicine Degree at Sioux City College, 1907, and was awarded membership in the American College of Surgeons in 1930; he held a fellowship in the American College of Surgeons and is a member of Theta Kappa Psi.
At this time Dr. Barr is chief of the surgical staff a Tilden Hospital, Tilden, Nebraska. He is the author of various articles published in medical journals: Report of a Case of Diabetes Insipidus With a Peculiar Complication, Nebraska State Medical Journal (1924) ; and Carcinoma of Stomach in Young Adults, Nebraska State Medical Journal (1928).
He holds membership in the Tilden Country Club, the Public Library Board, the Lions Club, Red Cross, and the Nebraskana Society. He is a Master Mason, holding membership in the Shrine and Scottish Rite bodies, and is a member of the Odd Fellows and Elks. His professional organizations include: Five County Medical Society; Nebraska State Medical Society; Elkhorn Medical Society; American Medical Association; and the American College of Surgeons. His favorite sport is golfing, and his hobby is wood work and cabinet making.
For many years Dr. Barr has been very active in civic affairs of his community, having served on the town board and as mayor for tour years. During his term as mayor, the village of Tilden was made a city of the second class, mainly through his efforts.
On May 15, 1908, he married Rosa Belle Long, of Sioux City, Iowa. at Dakota City, Nebraska. Mrs. Barr, who was born at Lyons, Nebraska, February 26, 1882, is the daughter of native Missourians. They have four children: Dorothy C., born January 3, 1910; Gwendolyn G., born June 13, 1912; Carl Cecil, born June 21, 1915; and Robert Earl, born February 24, 1920. Ruth, who is an adopted child, was the daughter of Mrs. Lucy Collins, a sister of Mrs. Barr; she was graduated from the University of Nebraska, in 1930. Dorothy received the R. N. degree at the University of Nebraska in 1930. Mrs. Barr holds membership in the Eastern Star and Royal Neighbors, besides other local clubs. Residence: Tilden.
Irwell Montgomery Dawson
A resident of Nebraska for the past 61 years, Irwell Montgomery Dawson was born near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the son of George Wolstenholme and Alice Ann (Wolfenden) Dawson. His father, born at Nuttal Lane, England, January 12, 1827, died at Duluth, Minnesota, September 19, 1908. He was a farmer and was especially interested in horticulture and landscape gardening. His mother was born at Oldham, England, June 13, 1824, and died at Blair, Nebraska, February 21, 1871.
Mr. Dawson attended the public school of Blair, and was a student at Elliot’s Business College at Burlington, Iowa. He served as post office clerk at Blair, was associated with the Crowell Lumber & Grain Company for several years, and for the past 35 years has been land manager and local representative of the Stuart Investment Company of Lincoln. He is a director of the Madison County Building & Loan Association at Madison, and secured the site of the Carnegie Library.
He is a member of the Madison Community Club, the Madison County Historical Society, and the Nebraskana Society. He was formerly a member of the Kiwanis Club, and for over 16 years was a trustee and treasurer of the First Presbyterian Church. He is a Mason and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. During the World War he served in loan drives and Liberty bond sales. In the face of adverse opinion as to the value of sweet clover as a ground builder Mr. Dawson was a firm believer in its value and staunchly advocated us use. The universal opinion now prevails that there is no better soil builder.
His marriage to Florence Nightingale Crawford occurred at West Point, Nebraska, July 12, 1899. Mrs. Dawson, who was born at Bangor, Pennsylvania, was formerly a teacher in public schools, and is now a piano instructor. She is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the P. E. O. Her ancestral line is that of George Wolf who was seventh governor of the State of Pennsylvania, and the founder of the public school system of Pennsylvania. They have a daughter, Alice, born June 11, 1912, who was graduated from Stephens College, Columbia, Missouri, where she was a member of Phi Theta Kappa, an honorary society, and while a student there she was honored with a scholarship. She is now a student at the University of Nebraska, where she has affiliated with the Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Residence: Madison. (Photograph in Album).
George Martin Dudley
George Martin Dudley, president of the Dudley Laundry Company, was born near La Porte, Indiana, February 17, 1873, son of George and Mary Anna (Reynolds) Dudley. The father, who was a liveryman, was born November 24, 1843, and died at Norfolk, April 24, 1916. Mary Anna Reynolds, daughter of Louis and Matilda (Wooster) Reynolds, was born August 9, 1842, and died at Norfolk, October 14, 1893. George Dudley served during the Civil War as a member of the Seventh Indiana Cavalry.
Mr. Dudley attended public school at Norfolk, and thereafter from 1901 until September 1, 1916, operated a transfer business there. On January 2, 1925, he incorporated under the name of the Dudley Laundry Company, with himself as president, the laundry business which he started on a small scale in 1916. At the present time forty persons are employed by this company, which also operates a linen and towel supply service, and a dry cleaning service.
Of his marriage to Hattie Louisa Boeck, there are two children, Darrel Darus, born at Norfolk, November 27, 1901; and Bonita Charlotte, born October 5, 1907. Darrel who is secretary-treasurer of the Dudley Laundry Company, married Joanna Roberts, at Norfolk, September 24, 1924, they have two sons: George Robert, born August 7, 1927, and Darrel Douglas, born July 15, 1928. Bonita Charlotte married Frank Roy Denton, at Lincoln, October 28, 1927; they have one daughter, Louise Ann, born September 1, 1928. Mrs. Dudley was born in Germany, February 17, 1877, daughter of John and Louisa (Schultz) Boeck.
Mr. Dudley is a Republican. He has resided in Nebraska since 1887, and has been prominent in civic affairs at Norfolk for some time. He is affiliated with the Trinity Episcopal Church, is a member of the Chamber of Commerce (director 3 years), the Rotary Club, and is a life member of The Nebraskana Society. He served as president of the Nebraska Laundry Owners Association in 1925. Residence: Norfolk. (Photograph in Album).
Ralph Stevenson Finley
Born at Kingsville, Missouri, February 17, 1884, the son of Theodore Thomas and Sarah Ellen (Stevenson) Finley, Ralph S. Finley has been prominent in public affairs at Norfolk, Nebraska, since 1913. His father, who was a retired farmer and merchant for several years before his death, was born at Sparta, Illinois, September 8, 1851, and died there August 7, 1925; his grandfather, who was of Irish descent, was a native of South Carolina, and moved to Sparta, in 1820. His mother was born of English parentage at Elkhorn, Illinois, April 5, 1855, and died at Norfolk, December 16, 1929; her father, John Stevenson, settled at Sparta, in 1829.
Mr. Finley attended high school at Sparta, where he was active in football and baseball. He was salesman for T. M. James & Sons of Kansas City, Missouri, 1905-10; for Niles & Moser Company of Kansas City, 1910-18, and has been engaged in the grain and coal business in Norfolk, since 1920. He is the owner and manager of the Finley Coal, Grain & Ice Company at Norfolk, is a stockholder in the State Bank of Norfolk, and is chairman of the board of the Nebraska State Bank Liquidation Corporation.
A Republican, he served as a member of the Republican State Central Committee in 1928, and has been a member of the city and county committees several times. For the past eight years he has acted as a member of the Norfolk Public Library Board, is past director, secretary, and president of the Rotary Club, was a member of the National Waterways Committee, and served on the Board of Appraisal of the University of Nebraska. He has been a director of the Chamber of Commerce for five years; has been a member of the board of trustees of the Salvation Army for five years, and at this time is local treasurer of the Red Cross. Mr. Finley is a Mason, (Royal Arch, Consistory, Knights Templar, and Shrine) and an Elk. He is affiliated with the Norfolk Country Club and holds membership in the Norfolk Congregational Church. His sports include golfing and football.
During the World War he served as warehouse and supply manager for the Young Men’s Christian Association at Winchester, England. His marriage to Florence Buford Rees, occurred at Norfolk, October 2, 1917. Mrs. Finley, whose parentage was Welsh and Irish, was born at Norfolk, December 6, 1892, and died there August 31, 1923. One child was born to them: Ted, born February 18, 1923.
On July 6, 1925, Mr. Finley was married at Norfolk, to Irene Eide, daughter of Ole E. and Hannah (Finstad) Eide. She is of Norweigian descent, and was born at Chaseburg, Wisconsin, August 25, 1899. Residence: Norfolk.
James Willis Gillette
One of the leading business men of Norfolk, Nebraska, James Willis Gillette has lived in the state all of his adult life. He was born at Newman Grove, Nebraska, March 8, 1887, the son of W. Stephen and Blanche (Hoffman) Gillette. His father, a physician and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, was born at Fairfax, Vermont, July 28, 1844, and died at Worcester, Vermont, May 21, 1902.
His grandfather, C. Willis Gillette, a marble carver, lived in Stowe, Vermont, where he died in 1896. The first American ancestor of the Gillette family was Jonathan, a French Hugenot, who escaped from France to England with William the Conqueror, and came to America about ten years after the Mayflower, settling in Massachusetts.
Mr. Gillette’s mother, whose ancestry was German, was born in New York, and died at Newman Grove, June, 1901. She was for years one of Newman Grove’s most prominent and beloved residents, and in the early days served as postmistress there.
Mr. Gillette attended Goddard Seminary at Barre, Vermont. For a number of years has been the owner and manager of the Gillette Creamery Company at Norfolk, Nebraska, which he founded January 1, 1917. He holds membership in the Chamber of Commerce, is a Mason, (Scottish Rite and York Rite), and during 1929 and 1930 was treasurer of the Young Men’s Christian Association. He is very active in Boy Scout work.
His marriage to Birdie C. Kuhl occurred at Norfolk, September 15, 1915. Mrs. Gillette, whose ancestry is German, was born at Norfolk, October 15, 1891. She is the daughter of Gus and Emma (Kluckhohn) Kuhi. They have three children: Richard Willis, born January 9, 1918; Mary L., born October 11, 1919; and J. Stephen, born August 2, 1927. Residence: Norfolk. (Photograph in Album).
Since 1915 Charles Hartner has been prominent as a physician and surgeon at Madison, Nebraska. He was born at Leonardville, Kansas, June 21, 1889, son of Paul and Pauline Hartner. His father, who was a farmer, was born in Germany, October 23, 1863, and now resides at Clay Center, Kansas. His mother, Pauline Frederike (Brodt) Hartner, was born in Germany, December 18, 1868.
Dr. Hartner has six brothers and three sisters, Paul, of Riley, Kansas; Fred, of Clay Center, Kansas; Will, of Clay Center, Kansas; the Reverend Henry, who is pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church of Lincoln; Ernest and Herman of Clay Center; Minnie Hartner Kahre of Clay Center; Rose Hartner Tonn of Clay Center; and Pauline Louise, a teacher of music at Holywood California.
Dr. Hartner attended night school where he received the equivalent of a high school education, and was later graduated from the American School of Osteopathy with the degree of Doctor of Osteopathy. Receiving his degree in 1915, prior thereto and in 1911 Dr. Hartner entered York Business College where he attained further education and where he discovered his adaptability for penmanship. He is a member of the Sillonian Club.
During 1927, 1928, and 1929, Dr. Hartner was a member of the Trinity Lutheran School board at Madison and was chairman of Trinity Lutheran Church, 1929. He was its treasurer from 1924 until 1926 inclusive. He is a member of the Madison Community Club, the Lions Club, the Nebraskana Society, and the Red Cross. His professional organizations include the following: the American Osteopathic Association, the Nebraska Osteopathic Association, and the Northeast Nebraska Osteopathic Association. He is affiliated with the Trinity Lutheran Church at Madison, and is a member of the Madison Country Club.
He was married to Alma Dorothy Whemhoff at Clay Center, Kansas, April 22, 1915. Mrs. Hartner, whose parents were German, was born at Clay Center, Kansas, March 25, 1892. Their children are: Lawrence, born March 30, 1916; Helen, born June 10, 1917; and Gerald, an adopted child, born May 11, 1929. Lawrence and Helen are students in high school.
For a period of ten years Dr. Hartner has been secretary and treasurer for the local branch of the Aid Associations for Lutherans as well as their local medical examiner. Residence: Madison.